Donald Maurice Kalfas
Donald Maurice Kalfas, of San Tan Valley, Arizona, passed away on Saturday, October 8, 2022 at the age of 80 years old in Mesa, Arizona. He was born on December 27, 1941 in Birmingham, Alabama to Virginia Ruth (Wadlington) and William Henry Kalfas. The son of an entrepreneur, Don literally grew up coast to coast, from Florida to Alaska, moving from place to place with his family, attending different schools each year, until high school. His fondest memories of his childhood was the year he spent in Kentucky—10 people living in a tiny, one bathroom house. Don said he learned gratitude from growing up in that poor but loving home. He graduated from Anchorage High School in 1960, where he enjoyed and excelled in music, drama, radio and even cheerleading. Don attended the University of Montana for a semester, and then shortly thereafter joined the United States Army where he served for six months. Shortly after returning to Anchorage, he moved to Phoenix, Arizona, where he “pounded the streets” and eventually was hired by the Bill Johnson’s Big Apple Restaurants where he stayed on for thirty-nine years. Although he made his way up to General Manager of the restaurants, he would humorously refer to himself as a “fry cook” until the end of his life. He married one of the waitresses, Marilyn Hill, on January 22, 1964 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Don raised Marilyn’s children, David and Margo, as well as the two sons to follow, Bill and Kris—a father of four at the age of 24 years old. While working and raising a family, Don got his master’s degree in accounting from Arizona State University. Don and Marilyn divorced in 1991. Following his employment at the Big Apple, he continued to do accounting and finances for some other companies until his last retirement. Don met Joan Waters in 1996 and the couple remained together until the day of his death. Don was a man of many interests and hobbies. He was a small plane pilot, stock car racer, baseball coach, motorcycle enthusiast, trumpet blower, photographer and, more than anything, a golfer. Don was preceded in death by:
· His parents;
· His ex-wife, Marilyn Spoerl;
· His son, David Kalfas; and
· Two sisters: Shirley and Lola.
He is survived by:
· His daughter, Margo Mohney, of Cottonwood, Arizona;
· Two sons: Bill Kalfas and his wife Sheila, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and Kris Kalfas and his wife Terri, of Queen Creek, Arizona;
· A brother, Dennis and his wife Carolyn Kalfas, of California;
· Six grandchildren: Justin Kalfas and his wife Hanna, Christian Kalfas and his wife Maddie, Lexi Kalfas, Zechariah Kalfas, Hannah Kalfas and Karli Kalfas;
· One great-granddaughter, Sawyer Kalfas;
· One great-granddaughter-on-the way;
· His partner, Joan Waters;
· Many nieces and nephews, and
· His beloved dog, Bella.
A memorial service will be held on Monday, November 7, 2022 at 10:00 AM at Horizon Funeral Home, 7530 E. Main Street, Mesa, Arizona 85207.